• LLI - The Leveled Literacy Intervention reading program will be used for reading instructions. Small groups of students will be instructed on their reading level in the area of comprehension, word study, test taking strategies, and other elements of reading.
• Daily Language - The students will start each day with a Daily Language morning work assignment. The focus will be conventions and other language skills.
• Independent Reading - Students are required to read daily and record their reading history on a Reading Log.
• Accelerated Reader - After completing an AR book, students will take an AR test; the score should be 80% or greater.
• Writing – Students will have the opportunities to write in various forms this year. Narrative, expository, and persuasive compositions should be at least five paragraphs.
• Social Studies and science will be integrated with reading.
• ELA Binder/Social Studies – Students will organize and maintain a 3 – ring binder with sections (Reference, Daily Language, Writing, Daily Reading Notes, and Social Studies).
• Math/Science Binder - Students will organize and maintain a 3 –ring binder with sections (Reference, Fantastic Five, Problem Solving, Daily Math Notes, Science).
• Fantastic Five or Math 4 Today - Fantastic Five or Math 4 Today will be a daily homework assignment; it will be part of the daily math warm-up. This activity incorporates all the mathematical trends – algebra, geometry, numeration, measurement, probability, and data analysis.
• Problem Solving – Students will be given one problem solving activity for homework; it will be part of the math warm-up lesson.
• Daily Math – Various mathematical strategies will be used to teach the South Carolina fifth grade standards this year.